The nature of water damage is determined by the type and source of water and its performance and how long the water has remained on the property. There are basically four water damage classifications caused by three types of water…
Types of Water
- Clean Water – Category 1 water can damage belongings and property but does not pose a health threat to occupants. Clean water damage is frequently caused by a leak or crack in the home’s water supply line or an overflowed tub or sink without any contaminants or malfunctioning appliances. Other factors such as melting ice or rainwater which had no contact with soil or other components, or broken toilet tanks that have no additional additives or pollutants can also cause water damage of Category 1.
- Grey Water – Category 2 is normally known as grey water damage. This type of damage frequently comes from unsanitary sources such a discharge from appliances that contain pollutants or additives. Appliances such as dishwashers, toilet bowls or washing machines could cause leaking water and also be classified as Category 2, grey water damage. These water sources may have some chemicals that could cause health threats and quickly contaminate property if not treated immediately. This could advance to the more dangerous category of water if left untreated longer than 48 hours and can cause serious health issues.
- Black water – Category 3 water damage is very unsanitary. Black water damage contains harmful pathogens which originate from sewage sources. Sewage water contains human feces and urine and other waste which has harmful chemicals. Black water damage can cause severe discomfort and sickness and also potentially can impair indoor environments.
Water Damage Classifications
Since each type of water damage presents its own hazards, timely intervention is a deciding factor. The longer water stands the worse the damage becomes and causes mold and mildew growth. Destruction caused by standing water is categorized as follows.
- Class 1 Water Damage – The easiest destruction type, Class 1, is usually a slow evaporation rate and water damage affects only part of a room. There is frequently only a small portion of carpet damage or possibly no carpet damage. The moisture might only affect materials with a low permanence rate such as concrete or plywood.
- Class 2 Water Damage – Class 2 damage affects an entire room and is normally a fast evaporation rate. This affects carpeting and damages up the walls at least 12 inches. Class 2 might cause damage to structural material or moisture retention.
- Class 3 Water Damage – The fastest evaporation rate includes damage to surfaces like walls, ceilings, carpet, insulation or sub floors which have been saturated. Moisture could also have penetrated from overhead.
- Class 4 Water Damage – This is damage is caused by moisture and the time water penetrates materials with very low performance such as brick, stone or hardwood. Restoration from water damage requires longer drying times and specialty drying techniques.
Get Help From 1st Call Disaster Services
Long term damage can be prevented by professional restoration service providers who can regulate the emergency. We can make premises safe and hazard free for occupants by professionally treating any water related emergency for any class of water damage involved. All excess water and moisture is completely extracted from the property using the latest techniques and equipment. Using our professional equipment and expertise, we identify the exact extent of water damage and apply the most suitable drying methods.
A good restoration company can make sure your water damage is fixed right and that you’re out of pocket damage liability is kept to a minimum. We’ve helped numerous home and business owners and they and their insurance company always appreciate our surgical approach to restoration!
Contact Us (859-795-5775) for a consultation
About 1st Call Disaster Services
Property disaster is disastrous and emotionally unsettling. At 1st Call Disaster Services, our commitment is to helping regain your sense of security while rebuilding your surroundings. Our team members are not only professionally trained in the latest restoration technologies, techniques and procedures, they are also compassionate toward families and businesses having to endure the aftermath of a devastating situation. We are licensed and insured, specializing in all areas of property damage mitigation and our promise is to do whatever it takes to help you get your life back in order as quickly as possible.
What We Deliver…
- A team of trained and certified technicians
- The latest mitigation technology and procedures
- A strict code of ethics
- Round the clock availability 24/7
- 2 hour emergency response time
- A commitment to save and restore property
- Continual communication with all parties involved in the claim
- Professional, efficient, and exemplary service